Current volunteers: we are transitioning to a new volunteer platform, Volgistics. Starting on Monday, February 5, everything will be done through Volgistics & you will no longer be able to access Better Impact. To access the old platform before Feb. 5, click here.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Commit to volunteer a minimum of 6 hours a month.
- Able to work independently and willing to work as part of a team.
- Comfortable speaking to members of the public if working in events or adoptions.
- Maintain a professional attitude and positive energy when volunteering.
- Willing to learn and utilize Volgistics, our online volunteer scheduling system.
- Able to take instructions and follow safety protocols.
- Commitment to the FOS mission.
- Complete required training classes.
- Be willing to pay a $20 volunteer fee at the time of your orientation. This fee includes a volunteer t-shirt, lanyard badge, and helps offset FOS's volunteer program expenses.
- Be able to volunteer independently.
- If volunteering directly with animals, meet the basic physical requirements for volunteers, explained in the application.
Interested in Volunteering?
Individual volunteer opportunities
Many dedicated individuals help Friends of Strays' homeless pets by representing our organization at special events & fundraisers, socializing cats and dogs, counseling adopters, and performing many other valuable tasks at our shelter. Volunteers are the heart of FoS and without their time, talents, and resources, we would not be able to save the lives of thousands of animals each year. Individual opportunities may include...
- Cat Care/Cleaning
- Adoption Center/Greeter
- Dog Walking
- Happy Cats Socialization Training
- Dog Care/Cleaning
- Animal Transport
- Return to Field Transport
- Donation Pick Up
- Community Cat Trapping
group volunteer opportunities
Accommodating large groups of volunteers at the shelter can be challenging logistically, as grateful as we are for the support. Here are some off-site volunteering ideas for your team! Corporate Volunteer Guide
For volunteer groups, contact our Engagement Manager, Tiffany, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Friends of Strays welcomes corporate and other business groups of up to eight adults, 18 years or older. Volunteering at Friends of Strays is a great way to build team camaraderie while helping us provide a safe and loving environment for our shelter animals until they find their furever homes. Group activities may include...
- Grounds maintenance
- Cleaning the interior of the shelter, including hallways, kitchens, baths, etc.
- Organizing closets (interior) and shed (exterior)
- Cleaning interior and exterior of the shelter van
- Feeding animals
- Cleaning cages and animal rooms
- Walking dogs (when available and accompanied by staff)
- Painting projects
- Administrative assistance
- Other projects
Off-Site Volunteer opportunities
If our on-site volunteer opportunities aren't the right fit for your schedule – or you have a child under 18 in need of volunteer hours or service projects – there are lots of ways to help outside of the shelter as well! Check out the guide below for some project ideas that you can do at home or in your community to help cats and dogs in need.
Off-Site Volunteer Guide