Marketing and Communications Manager
Thursday, March 25, 2021
The marketing and communications manager will be responsible for creating, communicating, and delivering the Friends of Strays brand and messaging to its supporters and the general public. They will be responsible for preserving and honing Friends of Strays (FOS)’ voice across various communications channels and will oversee the organization’s entire marketing and communications strategy and initiatives including public relations, website management, donor communications, social media, newsletters and more.
They must be a proficient writer, editor, and have excellent critical thinking skills as well as be adept at translating animal welfare jargon and veterinary information into content that can be read and understood by lay audiences. They will be responsible for content creation and community engagement strategies to boost Friends of Strays’ brand awareness. The incumbent will independently develop messaging campaigns to advance the mission of Friends of Strays and coordinate other programmatic tasks as needed.
Essential Job Functions
- Plan, develop and implement effective strategies and policies that support Friends of Strays’ marketing, public relations, digital presence and overall communication activities aligned with the organization’s mission, vision and goals.
- Implement social media strategies and develop campaigns to increase following and engagement across different platforms.
- Manage and write mass donor communications including acknowledgement letters, direct mail pieces, digital communications and the FOS newsletter.
- Write and distribute press releases, respond to press requests, and look for opportunities to collaborate with media outlets to highlight our work in order to further organizational goals.
- Manage the FOS website, including the production of new content and ongoing development.
- Photograph shelter animals for the FOS website in a timely manner.
- Create marketing materials for internal and external use for our various campaigns, programming and development. This can include fact sheets, brochures, flyers, infographics, etc.
- Track news coverage of FOS and key issues surrounding animal sheltering.
- Collaborate with event coordinator in the marketing of fundraisers and events.
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or relevant field
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role
- Understanding and passion for animal welfare and sheltering
- Proven experience creating targeted content
- Strong knowledge of marketing and communication practices and techniques
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Experience using various social media platforms and knowledge of social media engagement strategies
- Demonstrated ability to write and edit clear, engaging, and grammatically correct content
- Creative thinking and proven systematic organizational skills to work independently, determine workload priorities to complete work in a timely manner, and identify and resolve problems
- Strong visual eye
- Proven skill at working in a collective environment, including interpersonal skills to interact sensitively with colleagues, students, community members, and workers from diverse social, cultural, and educational backgrounds
- Ability to learn new software independently
- Graphic design skills and video/multimedia production (strongly preferred)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, and Salsa Labs (preferred)
Salary starts at $39,000 plus benefits. To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org